Monday 11 February 2013

Magazine Review Audience Research



1) Have you ever read a magazine review for a film?
Harrison Calaby (16) Yes
Ben Thorpe (18) Yes
Robert Watts (44) Yes
Linda Goddard (47) Yes
John Seaman (62) Yes
Alice Calaby (92) Yes
Jack Latoy (18) Yes
Sam Hitchins (17) Yes
Fletcher Watts (11) No
Beth Calaby (12) Yes
-Out of my group of ten, only one person hadn’t read a film review and this person was only 11. This shows that film reviews have a universal appeal so I will have to try and make my review appeal to all ages and both genders.

2) What would you expect a magazine review to be like?
Harrison Calaby (16) Informative, easy to read.
Ben Thorpe (18) Eye catching, have both pictures and text.
Robert Watts (44) Informative, helpful.
Linda Goddard (47) Concise, informative, easy to read.
John Seaman (62) Helpful – tells you what you want to know.
Alice Calaby (92) Helps to understand whether I want to see the film or not.
Jack Latoy (18) Informative, good layout.
Sam Hitchins (17) Lots of information about the film but with a few screenshots from the film.
Fletcher Watts (11) I don’t really know.
Beth Calaby (12) Lots of pictures and nice to look at.
- Lots of people want a review to be informative and easy to read – this means that I need to think carefully about my layout and presentation as well as the content of my review.


3) What's your favourite magazine, despite if it has a review section in or not?
Harrison Calaby (16) NME
Ben Thorpe (18) Xbox magazine
Robert Watts (44) Today’s Golfer
Linda Goddard (47) Horse & Rider
John Seaman (62) Champions
Alice Calaby (92) Sky Sports
Jack Latoy (18) Empire
Sam Hitchins (17) Total Film
Fletcher Watts (11) Ben 10
Beth Calaby (12) Girl Talk
- If I look at these magazines, I can better understand the kind of layout, writing style and aesthetic that people like from a magazine.

4) Do you read reviews elsewhere? If so, where?
Harrison Calaby (16) Yes, IMDb, Twitter
Ben Thorpe (18) Yes, IMDb, Facebook
Robert Watts (44) Yes, IMDb and on film posters
Linda Goddard (47) Yes, online
John Seaman (62) Yes, on the internet
Alice Calaby (92) No
Jack Latoy (18) Yes, IMDb, Facebook, posters
Sam Hitchins (17) Yes, IMDb, Facebook, posters
Fletcher Watts (11) No
Beth Calaby (12) No
- It is obvious that the internet is a clear leader in reviews and it is something that people actually use. A few people also said about the film poster so I will endeavour to make my poster to try and make the film look good.

5) Do you trust reviews on films?
Harrison Calaby (16) Most of the time.
Ben Thorpe (18) I’ll respect and understand their viewpoint, but I like to judge a film for myself.
Robert Watts (44) If most of the reviews on a film say the same thing, yes.
Linda Goddard (47) Yes – it is a professional critic’s opinion.
John Seaman (62) No, it’s only an opinion.
Alice Calaby (92) The majority of the time yes.
Jack Latoy (18) Not really. It’s helpful to have the insight but at the end of the day, it’s just an opinion.
Sam Hitchins (17) Not all the time.
Fletcher Watts (11) I’ve never read one…
Beth Calaby (12) I guess so.
- There is a mixed opinion about whether to trust a film review but a lot of people have said that it’s only an opinion but they will take that opinion into consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment